Welcome to the Ohio University Radio Television Digital News Association’s blog! Each week we’ll post a preview and/or recap of our meeting. We’ll also post videos, interesting articles, etc. as we come across them. If you’re a member of our chapter and would like to contribute something to our blog, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
If you missed our first meeting, below is a recap of what we discussed.
We spent the first half of our meeting explaining the mission of RTDNA and talking about what our chapter does throughout the year. Here are some of the major points that we covered:
- RTDNA represents electronic journalists in radio, television, and all digital media, as well as journalism educators and students.
- Formerly known as the Radio-Television News Directors Association (RTNDA). Last year the organization was changed to the Radio-Television Digital News Association (RTDNA) to include online media as well.
- Students can choose to join the national RTDNA chapter or just our local chapter. If students choose to join the national chapter, the cost is $65 for the year. If they choose to join the local chapter, the cost is $25 for the year or $10 per quarter. Dues should be paid to the treasurer (Mike Holden) by October 27, 2010.
- To learn more about the benefits of joining the national chapter and to review some of the resources that RTDNA provides for journalists (story ideas, best practices, ethics code, etc.), visit RTDNA.org.
- At our local meetings, we bring in speakers, facilitate workshops, and have discussions and debates about current issues in the news or affecting journalists. We also have a local conference in the spring and send some members to the national RTDNA convention. This year’s local conference will be on March 5, 2011.
- We meet every Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. in RTV 371.
Following our discussion about the fundamentals of our organization, the RTDNA executive officers introduced themselves and their experiences with RTDNA. We then held a Q&A discussion about the organization, broadcast journalism, and other related topics. The meeting was concluded with a tour of the WOUB television studios.
We look forward to seeing you this Wednesday (September 22, 2010) at 7:30 p.m. in RTV 371 for a quick meet and greet with the broadcast journalism professors at Scripps. We’ll then head over to Courtside Pizza for slice night! 🙂